The Kentucky State Reformatory (KSR) partners with the Humane Society of Oldham County (HSOC), and under the supervision of a professional trainer, provides a canine rescue and training program named Camp K-9. Located in Dormitory 3, the inmates involved with the program provide socialization and training in manners and obedience for rescued dogs to be adopted. A few select dogs are chosen to be service animals in the Humane Society's 4 Paws 4 Service Program. These dogs are given additional training to prepare them to be service dogs for individuals with special needs, veterans, first responders and 5 star families. Over 600 dogs have completed Camp K-9 since its inception in 2015.
To adopt a Camp K-9 graduate, please visit HSOC website.
- Adopters who have filled out an application have priority over someone who has just expressed interest in a particular animal.
- Filling out an application, however, does not guarantee you are approved.
- The order in which the application is received does not guarantee adoption.
- Our adoption decisions are based solely on the needs of the animal and the adopter's ability to match those needs.
- HSOC reserves the right to determine the most appropriate home for the pet and may refuse placement of an animal for any reason.
- By submitting an application, you give HSOC permission to confirm the information you provide.
- All adoption applications become the property of HSOC upon submission.
- You must be 21 years of age or older, or have the consent of a parent/legal guardian.
- You must have a current photo ID or other document showing address.
- All member of the household must agree on the adoption.
- If renting, you must provide the landlord's consent in writing.
- Your current pets must be up-to-date on shots and free of contagious illness.
- All animals in your home must be spayed or neutered.
- You must agree to visit a veterinarian within 10 business days of adoption.
- You must agree to a home visit 30 days after adoption.