The Kentucky State Reformatory is Proud to be a Tobacco-Free Environment
ALL TOBACCO PRODUCTS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED!
Leave all tobacco, matches, and/or lighters in your vehicle, tobacco is considered contraband.
Welcome to the Kentucky State Reformatory. We hope your visit to our facility will be a positive experience for you and your loved one.
The goal of the Kentucky State Reformatory is to provide you with the opportunity to visit with your loved ones in a safe and clean environment.
The staff assigned to this facility are here to assist you. They will provide you with instructions and process you through the institution according to the visiting procedures.
As a visitor, we expect you to become familiar with the visiting rules and regulations of this institution. The rules and regulations are outlined in this Visitor Handbook and will periodically be explained to you by staff. We expect you to follow the rules and regulations of this institution and to cooperate with staff at all times.
Any violation of the visiting rules and regulations may result in the termination, suspension, or loss of your visiting privileges.
In accordance with Kentucky Revised Statute 520.010 the introduction of dangerous contraband into a Correctional Institution is a felony offense. Anyone who knowingly introduces dangerous contraband into the Kentucky State Reformatory will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
It is unfortunate that some visitors attempt to bring dangerous contraband that could be harmful to you, your loved one or the staff. The staff are trained and instructed to detect this. We are asking for your cooperation to prevent the introduction of dangerous contraband. Please follow the officer’s instructions. Please be aware that pursuant to KRS 520.010, KRS 520.050, and KRS 520.060, anyone entering the grounds of a correctional institution may be subject to a personal search or a search of their vehicle. Anyone found in possession of contraband will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
We hope you enjoy your visit. We look forward to providing you with the opportunity to spend time with your loved ones at the Kentucky State Reformatory.
Visiting at the Kentucky State Reformatory shall be conducted on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and Holidays beginning at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 3:00 p.m. To be admitted for a visit, you must arrive and be checked in at Box 1 no later than 2:20 p.m. You must have an original photograph identification card in your possession in order to be admitted for a visit.
2017 KSR Inmate Visitation Schedule
Before you can visit an inmate, the inmate must submit your name and other personal information to his Classification and Treatment Officer in advance and request that you be added to his list of approved visitors. If your name has not been added to the inmate’s visiting list, you will not be allowed to enter the institution.
An inmate on “Hold Ticket Status” from the Assessment and Classification Center shall not be allowed to have a visit until he has resided in the state correctional system for a period of sixty (60) days.
Inmates who are housed in the Special Management Unit or in the Correctional Psychiatric Treatment Unit-Special Management Unit shall only be allowed an inside visit in the non-contact security booth area. These visits shall not exceed one (1) hour in duration and the inmate must make an advance written request to receive the visit.
Registration for all security booth visits must take place 30 minutes prior to the time the visit is scheduled.
No more than two (2) adult visitors shall visit an inmate during a controlled visit.
Visitors Traveling Long Distances
Any person who travels 150 miles or more may receive an extended visit. These extended visits shall be requested one (1) week in advance through the Classification and Treatment Officer (CTO) of the inmate and approved by the Deputy Warden of Security.
An inmate shall be allowed two (2) separate visits in the visiting building per week. A Holiday visit shall count as one (1) of the two (2) weekly visits.
An inmate shall be allowed to have a maximum of three (3) adult visitors over the age of 18 per visit. There shall be no limit on the number of children allowed per visit, but they shall remain under the supervision of an adult visitor who shall prevent any disturbances by the children in the visiting building. If a visitor is unable to control a disruptive child and the disturbance persists, the visit may be terminated at the discretion of the visit building supervisor.
Children under the age of (18) may not visit unless approved and included on the inmate’s visiting list and accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or by another Immediate Family member with notarized, written parental or guardian approval. The name of the parent, legal guardian or other Immediate Family member accompanying the child shall be included on the approved visitation list.
Each visitor may be subject to a personal search of his person, which includes any object brought with him and any vehicle brought on to the institutional grounds.
Dress Code & Behavior Guidelines for Visitors
- A visitor shall comply with the dress code for visiting. The visit shall be denied if a visitor is not properly attired.
- Any visitor, child or adult, shall not be admitted if barefooted.
- For female visitors, underclothes (bra and panties, and a slip with a dress) shall be worn.
- Clothing which does not completely cover the midriff, cleavage or bosom shall not be acceptable.
- Blouses shall be buttoned so that the cleavage cannot be viewed.
- Halter tops, hot pants, short skirts, wrap-around skirts and see through clothing shall not be allowed<./li>
- Dresses and skirts shall be allowed to have a two (2) inch split in the back only and the skirt or dress shall be no shorter than four (4) inches above the knee.
- Sleeveless garments shall not be allowed.
- A male visitor shall be expected to wear underclothes, long or short pants, long or short sleeve shirt.
- Bermuda or mid-thigh shorts shall be permitted.
- Sleeveless garments, cutoffs, or see through clothing of any type shall not be worn by male visitors over twelve (12) years of age.
- A visitor’s shorts shall not extend more than four (4) inches above the middle of the knee.
- A visitor shall not wear spandex clothing.
- Hats will not be permitted.
- Each visitor shall dispose of trash in the waste containers.
- The use of tobacco products is prohibited in the visiting building and the visiting building waiting room.
- Profane, vulgar or sexually suggestive talk shall not be allowed during a visit.
- Physical contact with an inmate shall be limited only to a brief hug and kiss at the beginning and conclusion of the visit. No open mouthed kissing.
- Each visitor and inmate shall act in a dignified, responsible manner while on a visit. Any visitor or inmate who does not act in this manner or follow the visitor dress and behavior guidelines shall be denied entry or have his visit terminated early by the Shift Supervisor at the request of the Visiting Room Supervisor.
- Breast feeding will not be allowed in the visitation room.
- All Food wrappers will be opened all the way to display the contents. (Visitors and inmates may be asked to open food items, such as a hamburger bun to display the content.)
- Inmates and visitors are strictly prohibited to share food or drink items.
- Inmates will stand side by side of his visitor(s) for all photos, and there will be no refunds once the picture is taken. (Hands must be visible in the photo.)
Permitted Items for Visitors
The following items have been approved for a visitor to bring into the visiting building during the visit:
- Jewelry the visitor is wearing (wedding ring, one (1) watch, one (1) necklace, one (1) pair of earrings)
- Forty dollars ($40.00) in currency with nothing larger than a five ($5) dollar bill
- A small change purse or clear plastic baggie
- Visitors may bring two (2) car keys (1 ignition key and 1 door key, or a remote locking/unlocking device)
- Diapers (limit of three (3)), plastic baby bottles (limit of two (2)), no toys
- Photograph identification card
- Umbrella or weather gear for inclement weather
- Canes, walkers, or wheelchairs
- Any necessary medication shall require prior approval by the Deputy Warden for Security or Duty Officer
Any violation of the above listed rules or any other security matters will result in immediate termination of the visit.
In accordance with Kentucky Revised Statute 520.010, the introduction of dangerous contraband into a Correctional Institution is a felony offense. Any person who is found to possess dangerous contraband on institution grounds or who knowingly attempts to introduce dangerous contraband to any inmate of the Kentucky State Reformatory will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Additionally, the visitor may be banned from future visits with any inmate.
Prescription medication is permitted if it is in the original prescription container and can be left in the visitor’s vehicle.
In order to make your visit more enjoyable, a variety of foods, snacks, candy and soft drinks are available for purchase in visiting room vending machines. Food from outside restaurants is not permitted. Only a visitor shall be allowed to make a purchase from the vending machines. Inmates are not allowed to handle or possess money.